Amazon announced that Cyber Monday was once again the single biggest shopping day in the company’s history with more products ordered worldwide than any other day. Additionally, the Turkey 5, those five popular shopping days starting with Thanksgiving and continuing through Cyber Monday, broke records as customers in the U.S. purchased millions more products over the five day period vs. the same period last year. In fact, Amazoncustomers worldwide ordered more than 18 million toys and more than 13 million fashion items on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, combined.
“Black Friday and Cyber Monday continue to break records on Amazon year over year, which tells us that customers love shopping for deals to kick off the holiday shopping season,” stated Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer. “With curated gift guides, convenient shopping experiences, incredible product selection, and free shipping with no minimum purchase amount, Amazon offers customers tremendous value—sure to deliver smiles all season long.”
Holiday Weekend Highlights (U.S.)
- Sales by small and medium-sized businesses worldwide grew more than 20 percent on Black Friday year-over-year.
- Throughout the Turkey 5, Amazon.com customers ordered more than 180 million items.
- Prime members got into the Christmas spirit over the holiday weekend—Christmas lights were a bestseller on Prime Now.
- The best-selling products at Amazon 4-star and Amazon Books over the Turkey 5 weekend included the all-new Echo Dot, Becomingby Michelle Obama, the Amazon Smart Plug, and the L.O.L. Surprise Series toys.
- The best-selling products at Amazon Pop-Up device kiosks over the Turkey 5 weekend included the all-new Echo Dot and the Amazon Smart Plug.
- Customers ordered more than four million toys and electronics on the mobile app on Black Friday.
- The best-selling products across Amazon.com on Cyber Monday included the all-new Echo Dot, AncestryDNA: Genetic Testing Ethnicity, Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones for Apple devices, Becomingby Michelle Obama, Jenga, and Instant Pot DUO60 – 6 Quart.
Give the Gift of Amazon Devices
Shoppers on Amazon purchased a record number of Amazon devices globally this holiday weekend, with millions of devices sold worldwide.
- Biggest holiday shopping weekend ever for Echo devices, with millions sold worldwide—all-new Echo Dot was the #1 selling product on Amazon globally, from any manufacturer, in any category.
- The best-selling products across all categories on Amazon.com included all-new Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick 4K with all-new Alexa Voice Remote, and Fire 7 tablet with Alexa.
- It was a record holiday shopping weekend for smart home devices on Amazon.com—bestselling devices included Ring Video Doorbell 2, iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum, TP-Link Mini Wi-Fi Smart Plug, and Amazon Smart Plug.
- Customers are keeping their homes safer this holiday season with Amazon home security products—both Ring and Blink more than doubled their sales on Amazon this year compared to the same period last year.
- Fire TV continues to be the #1 streaming media player family in the U.S., U.K., Germany, and Japan, across all retailers.
- Millions of Fire tablets and Kindle devices purchased worldwide this holiday shopping weekend.
Thanksgiving Made Easy
- In the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, Prime members saved millions of dollars on deals at Whole Foods Market stores, including on turkeys.
- For the second year in a row, Whole Foods Market broke its all-time record of turkeys sold during the Thanksgiving season.
- With convenience top of mind, more customers than ever before opted to have their turkeys delivered this year with AmazonFresh and Prime Now, and customers purchased hundreds of thousands of prepared holiday meals at Whole Foods Market.
- Last-minute ingredients for Thanksgiving meals were top of mind for customers shopping Whole Foods Market through Prime Now – lemons, celery, and onions were the bestselling items the day before Thanksgiving.
- Alexa helped customers prep and cook for their Thanksgiving gatherings. Customers asked Alexa to set nearly twice as many timers on Thanksgiving Day than any other day this year.
- The most popular named timer for Alexa on Thanksgiving Day was “turkey,” followed by “pie,” and “stuffing.”
- Customers asked Alexa for nearly twice as many recipes and cooking advice this Thanksgiving as they did last year.
Doorstep Delivery and Convenient Pick Up
- Free Shipping This Holiday:All Amazon customers can shop hundreds of millions of items including every product category with free shipping, and now for a limited time, there is no minimum purchase amount on orders delivered through the holiday season. These items typically ship in 5-8 business days.
- Delivery as Fast as Today:Tens of millions of Prime members can shop with FREE Same-Day Delivery on more than three million items. Place an order in the morning and receive eligible same-day orders before bedtime that very same day, seven days a week – even Sunday. Plus free Two-Day Shipping is available exclusively to all Prime members in the U.S. on more than 100 million items with no minimum purchase amount.
- One Hour Grocery Delivery + Pickup:Prime members can shop groceries from Whole Foods Market through Prime Now in as little as an hour in 60 cities, and grocery pickup in as little as thirty minutes in select cities – making holiday feast planning or last minute baking even easier. And even beyond groceries, Prime members can use Prime Now to get one- and two-hour delivery on tens of thousands of items across dozens of categories in 30 major cities, perfect for last minute parties, gifts or travel.