Amazon announced financial results for its first quarter ended March 31, 2017.
Net sales increased 23% to $35.7 billion in the first quarter, compared with $29.1 billion in first quarter 2016. Operating cash flow increased 53% to $17.6 billion for the trailing twelve months, compared with $11.6 billion for the trailing twelve months ended March 31, 2016.
“Our India team is moving fast and delivering for customers and sellers. The team has increased Prime selection by 75% since launching the program nine months ago, increased fulfillment capacity for sellers by 26% already this year, announced 18 Indian Original TV series, and just last week introduced a Fire TV Stick optimized for Indian customers with integrated voice search in English and Hindi,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO.
“We’re grateful that customers are responding — Amazon.in is the most visited and the fastest growing marketplace in India. It’s still Day 1 for e-commerce in India, and I assure you that we’ll keep investing in technology and infrastructure while working hard to invent on behalf of our customers and small and medium businesses in India.”
- For the second year in a row, Amazon.com ranked #1 in corporate reputation in the 23,000-person Harris Poll.
- S. consumers ranked Amazon.com #1 in the American Customer Satisfaction Index, a 10,000-person poll that measures perceptions of quality and value across retailers nationwide.
- K. consumers ranked Amazon.co.uk #1 in customer satisfaction for the second consecutive year based on a 10,000-person poll by the Institute of Customer Service.
- Amazon Studios’ Original Movies won three Academy Awards including Best Actor (Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea), Best Original Screenplay (Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea), and Best Foreign Language Film (The Salesman). These titles along with the Oscar-winning film Moonlight will be available for Prime members to stream at no additional cost on Prime Video in 2017.
- The National Football League (NFL) selected Prime Video as its exclusive partner to deliver a live over-the-top digital stream of Thursday Night Football to tens of millions of Prime members worldwide across devices during the 2017 NFL Season. The Thursday Night Football games will also be available to Prime Video members internationally in over 200 countries and territories.
- Amazon Business expanded to the U.K., providing business customers with new features such as purchase approvals, VAT-exclusive pricing, expanded VAT invoicing, and quantity discounts. And since launching in Germany last December, Amazon Business has enrolled more than 50,000 business customers and more than 10,000 sellers, and added a new VAT calculation service that makes it simpler for sellers to provide VAT invoicing to business customers.
- Amazon launched Prime in Mexico with over 20 million eligible products. Prime members receive free one-day shipping in several of Mexico’s largest cities, free two-day shipping in the rest of the country, as well as access to Prime Video with popular and award-winning Amazon Original Series.
- com introduced Amazon Cash, a new service that lets customers add cash to their Amazon Balance at thousands of locations around the country.
- AWS announced Amazon Chime, a unified communications service that makes meetings easier and more efficient than ever before. Customers can start or join a meeting with a single click, and Amazon Chime delivers a frustration-free meeting experience with exceptional video and audio quality, chat, and screen sharing capabilities — all seamlessly synchronized across desktops, iOS, and Android devices.
- AWS announced Amazon Connect, a cloud-based contact center service that is based on the same contact center technology used by Amazon customer service associates around the world to power millions of customer conversations.
AWS collaborated with NASA to deliver the highest resolution video ever broadcast live from space (ultra-high-definition broadcast transmitted in 4K) during a keynote presentation at the 2017 National Association of Broadcasters Show in Las Vegas.
The session featured NASA astronaut and Expedition 51 commander, Peggy Whitson, speaking live from the International Space Station 250 miles above the Earth, which travels at 17,500 miles per hour and orbits the planet 16 times per day. The session explored how advanced imaging and cloud technologies are taking scientific research and filmmaking to the next level.