T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) provided a preliminary view of key customer results for the fourth quarter and full-year 2022, including its highest growth year in company history for postpaid accounts, postpaid customers and broadband customers. The company’s differentiated growth strategy, combined with its established 5G network and value leadership, delivered record high postpaid net account additions of 1.4 million, including an expected industry-best fourth quarter of 314 thousand.
Postpaid net customer additions of 6.4 million for full-year 2022 were above the high end of the company’s most recently increased annual guidance range and are expected to lead the industry for the 8th consecutive year, based on industry consensus expectations.
Postpaid phone net customer additions of 3.1 million for full-year 2022 were in-line with guidance and are expected to lead the industry, capturing a higher share of the industry year-over-year. T-Mobile has also become the nation’s fastest growing home-broadband provider with 2.0 million customers added in 2022, expecting to lead the industry for the fifth consecutive quarter in Q4 with 524 thousand High Speed Internet net customer additions.
“2022 was definitely the year of the Un-carrier as T-Mobile just posted amazing results — our highest ever postpaid account net adds (the best measure of our industry-leading growth in customer relationships), both postpaid customer net adds and broadband customer growth that are expected to lead the industry, and our lowest-ever churn numbers,” said Mike Sievert, CEO of T-Mobile.
“It’s clear that T-Mobile’s ability to offer both the best network and value is bringing new customers to the Un-carrier and enticing those who join us to stay.
And our momentum won’t stop as we continue to translate our long-established 5G lead into overall network leadership and execute on our unique growth strategy. We are perfectly positioned to profitably take further market share in 2023 and beyond!”
Consistent and Strong Customer Growth
- Postpaid net account additions were 314 thousand in Q4 2022 and reached a record 1.4 million for full-year 2022.
- Postpaid net customer additions were 1.8 million in Q4 2022 and reached a record 6.4 million for full-year 2022, above the high end of the company’s most recently increased annual guidance range of 6.2 to 6.4 million.
- Postpaid phone net customer additions were 927 thousand in Q4 2022 and 3.1 million for full-year 2022. Postpaid phone churn in Q4 2022 of 0.92% improved 18 basis points year-over-year, and full-year 2022 churn of 0.88% improved 10 basis points year-over-year.
- Prepaid net customer additions were 25 thousand in Q4 2022 and 338 thousand for full-year 2022. Prepaid churn was 2.93% in Q4 2022, and full-year 2022 churn of 2.77% was the lowest in company history.
- High Speed Internet net customer additions were 524 thousand in Q4 2022 and 2.0 million for full-year 2022. T-Mobile ended the year with 2.6 million High Speed Internet customers.
- Total net customer additions were 1.8 million in Q4 2022 and reached a record 6.8 million for full-year 2022. The total customer count increased to a record high of 113.6 million.