Consumers, scientific drive testers and crowdsourced data agree: we’ve done it again. In the latest P3 Mobile Benchmark USA report, released today, Verizon was rated tops overall for the 4th straight time, and our ‘Crowdsourced Quality’ score of 933 of a possible 1,000 across six categories was the highest score any U.S. wireless network provider has been awarded in the last 10 years of P3’s network tests. Verizon’s network was also ranked first in 4G, data, and voice coverage for the 4th time in a row as well.
“People and business partners have always known us for our superior network, but we never take that for granted and work to continuously improve. As these latest results show, our 4G network performance is the best it’s ever been,” said Heidi Hemmer, Verizon’s VP of Network and Technology. That’s a performance we’re proud of.”
The P3 Mobile Benchmark USA report is based on over 54 billion data samples taken from three million users over a 24-week period in the first half of 2019. The data covers over 99% of urban locations and 86% of non-urban areas across 1.26 million km².
The P3 test findings are just the latest in a slew of awards for Verizon this year, including wins from scientific drive testers (RootMetrics), consumers’ own experience (J.D. Power), and crowdsourced data (Tutela, OpenSignal, Ookla, Nielsen). Verizon’s network wins across multiple types of tests regardless of methodology, from numerous independent third parties. Here are some details:
- RootMetrics reported last month in their first half 2019 results Verizon has won their overall network performance and reliability awards for a record 12thconsecutive time, sweeping all six categories tested, while also being unbeaten in 120 of those 125 markets, or 96%. We won more 2x more awards than our nearest competitor at the state level, and 7x more than the third ranked carrier, while taking home the most awards at the metro level of any wireless provider since testing by RootMetrics began. So clearly, the gap between our network performance and the other national wireless providers continues to grow1
- In the J.D. Power Wireless Network Quality Performance Study – Volume 2 announced last month, which uses customer surveys to measure network performance and determine the Best Network Quality, Verizon ranked best Wireless Network Quality in the Nation and received more awards for network quality than any other provider for the 23rd time in a row—that’s as decade+ of being #12
- Tutela, which uses crowdsourced measurements from apps for their studies, found that Verizon had the best consistent quality score in the US 3
- Opensignal, which collects data both actively and automatically
via its own apps and partner apps, named Verizon #1 in Video Experience and 4G
availability, and second in both download speed experience and upload speed
experience in its July 2019 USA Mobile Network Experience Report released last
- Under Key Findings: “Verizon users see big improvements in Video
Experience”…”Verizon’s dominance in this metric was nowhere more apparent than
in big cities, where it won or tied for every single one of our regional video
- Under Key Findings: “Verizon users see big improvements in Video Experience”…”Verizon’s dominance in this metric was nowhere more apparent than in big cities, where it won or tied for every single one of our regional video experience awards.”
- Nielsen, which uses national test data to measure video streaming performance, shows Verizon’s network delivered the best video streaming experience5
- Ookla uses crowdsourced speed test data, and found Verizon provided the most consistent experience, had the highest percentage of time spent on 4G and the lowest percentage with no coverage6
1 Rankings based on the RootMetrics US National, State, and Metro RootScore Reports: 1H 2019. Tested with best commercially available smartphones on 4 national mobile networks across all available network types. Your experiences may vary. Visit www.rootmetrics.com for more details.
2 J.D. Power 2019 Wireless Network Quality Performance Study℠, Volume 2. Customers rated Verizon #1 in every single category, including calls, messages, and data connection experiences
3 Tutela Mobile Experience Report for the USA, based on crowdsourced data collected in March 2019
4 Opensignal Awards – USA: Mobile Network Experience Report July 2019, based on independent analysis of mobile measurements recorded during the period March 16 – June 13, 2019 © 2019 Opensignal Inc.
5 Based on Verizon interpretation of 1H 2019 Nielsen Video Test data collected nationally between January 1 – June 30, 2019
6 Ookla 2019 Speedtest U.S. Mobile Performance Report based on more than 11.5 million consumer-initiated network tests on Speedtest apps in the first half of 2019